2012 Forbes Five, a short list of hip-hop’s wealthiest moguls.
In order to form the Forbes Five list, Forbes follows the same procedures used to calculate list of the world’s billionaires—looking at past earnings, valuing current holdings, leafing through financial documents and talking to analysts, attorneys, managers and other industry players to find the nitty-gritty details. Only performers are considered, which is why hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons isn’t on this list.
5. Curtis “50 Cent” Jackson ($110 million)
4. Bryan “Birdman” Williams ($125 million)
3. Andre “Dr. Dre” Young ($260 million)
2. Shawn “Jay-Z” Carter ($460 million)
1. Sean “Diddy” Combs ($550 million)
Diddy well on his way to becoming hip-hop’s first billionaire (Forbes).